Sunday 19 February 2012

Which Sex Wears hats??? - James Cooke

During the start of the project we were unsure how some of our initial ideas would appeal to both sexes, so I conducted a small piece of research to inform our ideas better.

The question I was asking was 'Which Sex Wears Hats?'
So I spent time observing which sexes in a room or passing on the street were wearing a woolly hat, and through 4 separate counts on different days and in different places I walked round a room counting the people wearing hats and recording it in sexes.

Who- Students During a Tutorial
Where- Sheaf, 4227
Time- 11:51
Date - 9th Feb
Males - 10
Females - 2 (Not full hats, knitted head bands)


Who- Students using Mac's
Where- Sheaf, 4226
Time- 12:11
Date - 16th Feb
Males - 1
Females - 1


Who- Students using studio Space
Where- Sheaf, 4227
Time- 13:28
Date - 16th Feb
Males - 2
Females - 1


Who- Passers by in Sheffield centre
Where- Sheffield Centre, Sat on a bench outside Topshop/Topman
Time- 15:11 - 15:21 (10 mins)
Date - 18th Feb
Males - 27
Females - 18

The total outcome is that I counted 40 males wearing hats and only 22 females wearing hats which is a 65% to 35% split, so I can conclude that more males wear hats than Females but not enough to completely alienate them with our promotional methods and style.

I think that this was quite a valid survey of people wearing hats with only a few minor aspects which could affect its validity:

  • When counting people inside of university people may have removed their hats once inside
  • When out in Sheffield city centre I was count all people of all ages not just those I could class as in our target market (18 - 35)




No comments:

Post a Comment